Just Another Day

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Reading Lists:

Our school system has a required summer reading program. My rising 3rd grader has to read 5 books and my rising 6th grader has to read 2 to 5 depending on size and difficulty. What amazes me is what Turtle is reading. His current books include:

-The Count of Monte Cristo
-Freckle Juice
-Spyderwick Series
-The Last of the Mohicans

And I really had to push the Freckle Juice book because it's light and on the reading list. After seeing him read these books on his own it got me wondering where he scored on his PALS testing this Spring so I got the school to fax the results to me. He has a 97% accuracy of reading & context at a 5th grade level and a 96% at a 6th. No freakin' wonder he wants nothing to do with the books on the rising 3rd grade list (ex: Nate the Great, Magic Tree House, Arthur books, Strega Nona and Flat Stanley). I'm just happy that one of my boys loves to read like their Momma. Crash likes to read so long as I'm reading with him but my little Turtle will sit on his own reading like there's no tomorrow.

At least when I turn the Living Room into a Library it'll get some use!!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM , Blogger Willow said...

    He will enjoy Count of Monte Cristo although it is hard reading. I just finished it and I try to read it every so often.

    I'm glad they have challenging reading. I'm lucky to see T read at all.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home